Doud House is one of the best surviving examples of a local wooden house of the early American Period. It was built by Francis Doud, an Irish-born soldier who served in Florida and Mexico under General Riley. Riley was eventually appointed the military governor of California, and Doud met up with his old commander in 1849, when he brought his wife, Anna Kenna Doud, and their son to Monterey.
It is believed that Doud began construction for the current house on land he already lived upon from 1852 in the late 1860s: the deed cleared title on October 10, 1868. It has been recognized as a historic structure since 1917 when it appeared in “Historical Landmarks of Monterey California.” Monterey History & Art Association acquired the property in 1969 and began an extensive program of restoration.
Picture and information Provided by: Historic Monterey